Second part arrives

The transparent visor part arrived yesterday from Shapeways.

visor

It’s not very transparent, but apparently with sanding and polishing it becomes clear. It’s also very fragile – a piece broke off when I tried to attach it to the first part and it had to be glued back on.

Now that I’ve got my hands on the part I can see a few things that need improving.

  1. The visor needs to be thicker. It’s currently 1.2mm thick, and will be difficult to sand and polish without breaking. At least 1.5mm next time.
  2. It needs a shorter focal length. The visor sits too far forward on the brim of the cap and doesn’t really provide fully field-of-view coverage. Shortening the focal length will move it back and increase its curvature, hopefully solving both problems.
  3. The attachment mechanism needs rethinking. The tolerances are too tight – this can be fixed with sanding, but that’s not suitable for mass production. It can fail when the visor material is too fragile. It’s too complex for injection moulding. And it partly obscures the phone’s screen.

Still, I’ll proceed with what I’ve got. Get the visor sanded and polished, then hopefully mirror coated, and see if it works.

 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s